So I have worked in retail for a while now, and I have to say like every other job there are moments I hate it as much as there are moments I love it. So here is a quick list of the moments that make me smile.
1. Sometimes customers can be absolutely amazing. They’ll laugh at your rubbish jokes, compliment your customer service skills and even be polite!
2. You get to tell children off and scare them. I don’t know why I love this…it’s just funny.
3. You get to meet and talk to a lot of new people all the time. There is someone new to learn about.
4. Some customers talk to you about their problems- and maybe sometimes you help?
5. The people I work with complete my day. We can laugh and joke and dance to the repetitive music that plays in store, and accidentally get caught by a customer.
6. Tea break. Do I need to elaborate or are you okay with just guessing this one?
7. Learning about new stock is actually quite fun too- getting all the latest info and being the first to see new stock is quite exciting.
8. Delivery drivers can start to become pals- I’m guessing driving up and down the country can get pretty boring for them, so I’m happy to have a nice chat with them.
9. Sometimes customers go out of their way to say “Thank you.” Recently we have had a customer that gave us a card just to say thanks for the hard work we did to sort out an issue for her.
10. And the final part- also being my favourite is that at the end of the day you get to close the store and look at how well you’ve done for the day. Makes you feel proud. This is also, coincidentally the same time you get to go home!
So there we go! Not every day is bad, not every customer is bad either. But how about you? Have you guys had any wonderful experiences with customers or even your work mates? Let me know! I love hearing these sorts of stories!
Don’t forget to check out the other reasons for my love of retail!