As you already know retail is currently how I make my living. Selling products to lovely customers from a lovely company with lovely people. But t isn’t always lovely. Here are a few reasons I love working in retail…
1. Customers are sometimes really helpful- they like to give you more work to do by throwing stock on the ground, at you or otherwise hiding it in strange places so that you have more things to do in your already busy day.
2. You get paid an alright wage- living on minimum wage is easy if you don’t want to eat meat for a little while. And who needs to pay rent anyway?
3. Customers really appreciate the service you’re giving them- by calling you uneducated, demanding they get discount, simply being verbally abusive, and never saying “Thank You” really makes me smile at the end of the day.
4. Sometimes the company even shows appreciation for your hard work- They’ll even phone you when you aren’t reaching target because of something that is completely out of your hands and let you know that you are a terrible human being, and lucky for us… They don’t call when you’re doing well through fantastic selling skills.
5. Customers appreciate that pricing systems are out of our control- They’ll even happily take the product for the lower price after all of their shouting and abuse while also telling us we are terrible human beings.
6. You get the odd electrician or plumber that doesn’t mind having a nice pleasant chat during their work- They don’t even mind swearing on shop floor, being out right ride to customers and making creepy sexual comments. All in all, they know how to make a member of staff feel comfortable.
7. Customers never expect anything for free- “oh sorry the barcode isn’t scanning” “does that mean I get it for free?” “Why yes it does! Take it! Take it all! The company didn’t want your money anyway! Oh and here is the key to the safe too.”
8. Parents like to make sure that ther children are behaving for us- sometimes they’ll even let them run around with a £1000 scanner and swing off the fixtures. Nothing like a bit of health and safety!
9. Delivery Drivers are sometimes super helpful and polite- If you’re lucky they’ll help you practice your netball skills and throw the stock off the back of the lorry for you to catch. They will also charmingly- so swear at you because your 5″1tiny weak child like body can’t carry 20 huge boxes at a time. They encourage you to be your best.
10. Last (but by far the final) the company love to make sure that you’re happy with your working environment- They make sure that you can’t get that one song out of your head, you know the one that goes “Dun dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun dun dun,” The Ellie Goulding one? They make sure that your work is imprinted into your dreams so much so that you start dreaming of normal work tasks thinking your awake. This just means that you get to work all the time so you can always sort out issues even on your day off!
Although I’m moaning I do enjoy my job, and at the end of the day I generally go home with a smile because I work with some great people. I can prove it! Go check out The nice reasons of why I love working in retail. It’s thrilling!
Of course that doesn’t mean to say that I like the customers.
So do you have any lovely stories about lovely places and lovely companies? What’s your favourite story about a customer?